Thursday, March 01, 2007

On Blogging

OK. Here’s the problem with blogging.

You want to do it. You want to write entries for the blog. And with some regularity. Oth-erwise readers stop reading because after checking time and again and finding nothing new they no longer try.

I don’t blame them.

I don’t blame you if you are one of those. I’ve been doing this blog for -- what is it? A year now? -- and if I take time to count up all the entries I’ve made on the blog, I believe I would have to count all the way up to -- TWO!

Two. That’s all. That’s pathetic. That’s shameful.

As I said at the outset, the problem is that you want to do it. But each day there are so many things pop up that you not only want to do but have to do. Or that you simply want to do more than you want to think up something else to blog about.


My son, Eric, is a sportscaster at a TV station in the Twin Cities and he blogs. I talk to him about it. He has fun with his blogging and does a couple of entries a week. Oh, sure, sometimes he lacks that special idea for an entry but he has a fallback. When he doesn’t have a single idea, he makes a list. Maybe a list of his favorite sports memories. Maybe the notables he has found to be really good people. Maybe his favorite breakfast cereals. I’m not sure who cares but he makes them fun.


Which intimidates me a bit. I don’t eat breakfast cereals. So what do I do when I run dry one week. (And, yes, I do intend -- no promises -- to add a new entry every week.)

The principal purpose is to talk about our show: A Gulf Coast Journal. To give the reader a heads up on what to expect, what even to get excited about. There will be some of those, I trust.
We have a great deal of fun doing the program, meeting the people, seeing the places, having the experiences. I hope to make our enthusiasm contagious so you’ll catch it too. Check in often.

Now!

Now comes another great problem with blogging. How to sign off. Son Eric is known in Minnesota as Perk. His signoff, then, is a simple “Perkout.”When I was doing a family blog, the word “Popoff” worked pretty well -- two ways.

But here, I’m not your Pop, and can’t suddenly arrogate unto myself the nickname “Perk” so what to do? How to wrap? What to say in signing off?

Dunno.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger peterb said...

Jack-

I have to thank you and your crew for creating such a treasure of a show each month. I have lived in Florida 50 years (used to vacation on Sanibel before there was a bridge) and your show teaches me about stuff I never ever knew about this great place we live. Thanks.

Maybe you could blog about some of the ideas that never made it onto the show. I am sure there are some wonderful stories that cannot get told just because of time constraints, limited appeal, etc. Just a thought.

Again, thanks for what you do for all of us.

peterb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home