Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hats.

It’s strange, and a bit disconcerting, that viewers so often comment about the fact that I wear a hat on the programs. Someone sees me in a restaurant or walking down the dog food aisle in Publix and remarkson not recognizing me “without your hat.”

At first, hearing such comments, I didn’t understand. I don’t wear a hat on the program as a costume or wardrobe affectation but simply because outdoors I almost always wear hats.

Remember when Bobby Bowden had skin cancer some years ago and ever since he’s seen wearing a broad-brimmed hat in the attempt to forestall a recurrence? Well, I had a skin cancer surgically removed from my temple a few years ago (just five days before appearing on national TV hosting the Fourth of July fireworks concert of the Boston Pops -- the surgeon had done such a magnificent job – and the makeup gal did too -- no scarring showed at all.) And, like coach Bowden, I’ve been wearing hats ever since.

It’s not as though I could count on much protection from my hair. A couple years ago a dear friend, the artist Tom Cross whom we’ve profiled on the Journal, was about to begin chemotherapy and had a party at his Sarasota home. A barber was set up and eight of us male friends submitted to a buzz job on our own heads as a gesture of support for Tom.

Later, as his hair grew back in, curly and lush, most of the rest of us had decided to keep ours buzzed. It’s so much easier, simpler. It just doesn’t offer much protection.

Hence, the hats. Yes, plural. People who say they don’t recognize me “without your hat” underestimate the collection. There are baseball caps, of course. (Not neatly arrayed on the back shelf of the car forpeople following to admire, as is the Florida wont.) And western hats, cowboy hats, Stetson, Resistol. Florida straws, Australian bush hats. Tilley Endurables.

I never fancied collecting stamps or coins or barbed wire, but I do enjoy collecting a few serviceable hats. No three thousand dollar Monte Cristis. Until I find a way to put new hats on the expense account. (Wonder if WEDU would notice?)

PerkOut

7 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger morningstar said...

Hello, Jack;
I thoroughly enjoy your show...and yes, your hats too! I have been trying to find out info on the landfill tour you had in one of your shows...can you please give me contact information? I am trying to schedule a tour for my over 55 group here at Riverside Golf & Boating Resort.
Thanks and smiles...Shari Kirkeeng

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger barefeetbilly said...

I thouroughly enjoy your show Jack. The style, Flow and subject matter is just my cup of tea!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Mud Dauber said...

As a celebrity, people have an image of you that is cemented into their brain.

It is a signature of you as an artist. While you aren't a performer, per say, people see remember you with your hat.

Admit it, Jack. You're an icon of the Gulf Coast, with your hat.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Mud Dauber said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Allan Horton said...

Jack - I thoroughly enjoy your show and as a retired newspaperman, envy you a bit. I too have worn a broad-brimmed hat ever since a carcinoma was removed from my forehead years ago. I also get comments, particularly when I remove the hat when entering a building - a custom sadly losing favor. Keep up the good work,
AHH, Nokomis

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Of all the blogs, of all my friends who have blogs, yours is the one I found today and yours is the ONLY one I want to be part of! I have thus far, been successful at avoiding adding this to my list of things to routinely check each day but my hats go off to you for turning this non-blogger into being interested! :)

I love your hats. I have 4 I primarily wear on the beach but a special pinkish one I get compliments from even from guys. Hats are fun while being protective.

BTW, I have a springbird and fall bird neighbor who looks like he can be your brother. :)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger E. A. Porter said...

Hi Jack,

I, too, often get questions about my hats. As a travel writer, I'm often asked if my straw fedora is part of my "schtick." I always answer in the affirmative, sometimes adding, if I feel the inquiring mind is up to it, that, in my job, "it pays to speak softly and carry a big schtick."

Adam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home